Sunday, December 29, 2013

Post Bomb #1


 I went to a VIP birthday party today where someone we all know and love was celebrating his 2nd birthday.

It was all a blur, or at least my pictures are, of children and dogs and people I haven't seen much of this year.


"You look good" they told me with surprise in their voices.

Well duh, as we all know, I've been down, but I haven't been down and out. 

Mr. B had the best time, his grandfather was there along with the requisite smoked salmon and champagne and he and his partner's new dog Daisy.

 What a love. I would have taken her home if I could, but my heart was already spoken for.

 By the other dog. The one who followed me around all day not only because she misses me, but because I dispense expensive German cold cuts to her like they come from a pez machine. She was the loveliest creature of all.


And I could have taken her home, her mom is out of town, but then I thought of the grieving look she would give me when Gus took over her bed and she had to settle her aching hip on the floor and I gave it up for the greater good.

But I miss her. What a good dog.

( and if she was here she wouldn't be sitting next to me on the vintage Swedish table runner cleaning her very dirty foot, would she Gus?)

16 comments:

  1. Down and out?? Certainly not!! More like brave and strong ... and willing to do the right thing even when it's the hard thing. Proud of you. Giant hug. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Down and out?? Certainly not!! More like brave and strong ... and willing to do the right thing even when it's the hard thing. Proud of you. Giant hug. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow , clearly you felt so strongly about this you said it twice!

      Thanks Webb, I needed that!

      Delete
  3. Oh, you gorgeous Mr. Baby, now that you have a trike should we call you Emil?
    And hello, Lab--so good to see you.
    (Well, duh indeed.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we might be updating his name. Pretty soon he'll be able to make his own corrections!

      He was able to ask Lucy, repeatly, on Christmas, "Lucy, what doing". Lucy leaving room, that what she doing:-)

      Delete
  4. Happiest of holidays and a wonderful 2014 to you Jane ! Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Nika!!! Daisy looks like a cross between Nika and Addie! Funny how people aknowledge our sorrows - you can probably give them a pass for awkwardly letting you know what we already know and just tell you: you're awesome: you're strong: you're brave: you're beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Daisy has the heart and soul of Nika. Lucky owners.

      And thank you. That is truly music to my ears. xo

      Delete
  6. Two years old--time flies--that's why small children are blurs. What a pair of wonderful dogs. Love people who adopt mature animals like Daisy. I think just about everyone would want to take the lab home. Here's hoping everyone has a great 2014!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See this is just why I never let people take my picture, one always looks older and fatter than one really is.....:-))

      Daisy is a mere 14 weeks old. But clearly a very mature 14 weeks!

      Happy 2014 to you also!

      Delete
    2. You're kidding! However, there is nothing in the picture to compare Daisy's size to.

      I don't let people take my picture because I am old and fat ;)

      Delete
  7. So nice to see Nika again! I've missed her, clearly not as much as you but missed her nonetheless. I have pictures of blurry children too, I think they need to hit 4 before they actually understand the concept of "I'M TRYING TO TAKE YOUR PICTURE, DON'T MOVE" Daisy is quite large for a 14 week old, is she a great dane?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cattle dog/great Pyrenees mix. Probably going to be a monster!

      Delete
  8. Love a party with children, dogs, and salmon!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sweet Mr. Baby will in the natural progression of things evolve into "Boy NO" if he follows the developmental continuum miraculously turning into "Terrific Kid" at 3 yrs. Until then the independent streak will indeed be a blur! The pups are adorable, too. So glad your "awesomeness" was noticed and acknowledged. We've been watching it grow for months! Smiles...Susan

    ReplyDelete