Sunday, November 10, 2013

In Which I Bake A Cake


Yes Virginia, it is November. Outside smells like wood smoke, inside smells like chicken stock and apple cake.

I had every intention of working in the garden today. But I had a coffee date at 11:30 (no match trust me) and by the time I had done a little shopping ( 3 lbs. organic chicken wings,  3 lbs of tart apples, a Sunday Times and a blue velvet curtain to switch up my bedroom closet "door" for the season) and hiked up the hill back home, I was ready to nest, not garden.

I went all Smitten Kitchen. From the chicken stock, to the apple cake, I channeled Deb Perelman all the way baby.

Well almost all the way. I don't have a slow cooker but I have a stove and a soup pot so the 5 ingredient stock is cooking very slowly right next to the potatoes I'm boiling for a dinner frittata.

The also 5 ingredient cake is cooling on the counter. When you're a non baker, you use the simplest recipe you can find. You also google spring form pan to see what it looks like. And realize to your delight you have one.



Of course if I really was Deb Perelman, my batter wouldn't have stuck to one side of my pan resulting in me peeling off the sticky crust and popping it in my mouth (yum) leaving a rather uneven looking cake. And now I understand I'm supposed to flip the sucker over, peel off the parchment paper, flip it again and sprinkle with cinnamon. Insert laugh track here. I have visions of it all falling apart when I try this and I will have inadvertently made an apple crumble, in the truest sense of the word.

Why oh why is S-man in the bowels of the Pentagon working when I need him here?

Oh my god, I did it. Kind of. Note to self, if you flip your cake in the dining room while writing a post and watching football, make sure you have your plate at the ready, not in the mud room, so you have to leave cake,upside down, gasping for breath, while you run to get platter.
 
  Minimal damage. 

Very moist cake, bursting with flavor. Ingredients: apples, eggs, sugar, flour and vanilla.

So simple even a child I can make it.

 Now off to make that frittata.

 There's no such thing as a dinner cake is there?

24 comments:

  1. The cake sounds yummy. I have no problem having cake for dinner. You have apples and eggs. I hearing nutritious:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not "good" baker. I have a vague idea of what I want to make, usually have (most of!) the ingredients...and just plough ahead. On the rare occasion a cake is required my ginger cake comes up trumps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps you could share ginger cake recipe? Sounds delish.

      Delete
  3. Dinner cake? My ex husband's grandmother used to make a yellow cake - no frosting, and dip it in turkey gravy for dinner!!! So, yes. Cake with fritatta? o yeah.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like the Apple Upsidedown Cake from Americas Test Kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to check that one out.

      Delete
    2. Actually, ATK's cake has tons more ingredients and lots of butter. I would have found t too complicated I'm embarrassed to say.

      Delete
  5. Apple cake looks just yummy! Since the trip to North Georgia during apple pickin' time, I have coveted everything apple. Frittata isn't something I have cooked. Will have to check that out. Homemade chicken stock .... Um um good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks to be the very best sort of cake. Mmmm - I'm imagining it still warm with lots of whipped cream. Yum!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's my kind of recipe (although it looks a lot more complicated than the delicious pumpkin muffins I "made" for you; [smile]). I love everything apple. Got to try making this apple cake.

    ReplyDelete
  8. But the apple cake link goes to the chicken stock recipe . . . Looks so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so weird. My favorite use of apples is "Swedish Apple Pie" that Mother used to make. Add some chopped pecans to your recipe and it's the same. I make it in a pie pan, not a spring form, but am going to try that. Oh, mine doesn't have the cinnamon, but hey!

    Glad you had a good day.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I made Deb's pumpkin black bean soup yesterday. She's so much fun. And don't feel too bad I was reading a post of her's once where she said that she has plenty of disasters that of course she doesn't photograph, Everything isn't always perfect. Sure, Deb.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That cake sounds absolutely delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't understand that last question. Are you from another planet? Cake is perfect for every occasion/meal/celebration/upset/no reason at all, and may also be eaten standing up/in bed/on the treadmill/waiting for the bus. Dinner cake may be made more sophisticated by the addition of cream.

    ReplyDelete
  13. oooh, aaah - I saw that recipe but I don't have a springform pan. Did you use a regular one and if so, what size? I goofed before with one of her other cakes and it overflowed. Not good.

    As for your question, have you never seen Bill Cosby's cake for breakfast schtik (he fed it to the kids)? It's a hoot!

    We did the leaf raking on Saturday but with last night's wind....

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yum....I could eat that cake for dinner! And don't you just love the way your house smells when you're baking anything apple?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your cake looks absolutely delicious Jane, save a slice for me!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm not a baker either but I think I can give this one a go :)
    And the picture your words painted of your house with the chicken stock simmering and the apple cake baking sounds so cozy and delicious! x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hope you will be able to work in the garden soon Jane! It has been raining in Holland for days, so I am waiting for my chance to do some much needed clearing up as well.

    Your cakes looks delicious! Wish I could taste a piece!!!

    Happy day!

    Madelief x

    ReplyDelete