Monday, December 3, 2012

A Day In The Life


Good Morning.  The holiday season has come in with a roar not a whimper and I am running, running, running to keep up the pace.

When I come home I find in ilex berries in my shoes, my eyelashes are encrusted with glitter and bits of pine are nestled in my hair.

Eich ein ornament.

I haven't even had time to take a photo for Instagram and they take only.....well you know.

There are many good days. On Thursday we went out on one of my favorite jobs for one of my favorite customers.


 When we arrive, the tree is up, the garland  hung on the v. long staircase, the Christmas music playing and the boxes of ornaments open and waiting on the marble floor in the foyer.


All that's left for us to do is take off our coats and make some magic.

We talk and laugh and pad around offering suggestions to one another. One does the tree, another the staircase and I do the 3 fireplace mantles.

We bring 2 heavily ornamented wreaths for the front doors and 4 evergreen wreaths for the gateposts.

At lunchtime we sit at the table in the freshly decorated kitchen and the housekeeper serves us a delicious lunch.  This year is we ate quiche Lorraine, a green salad, sparkling water, then coffee and cookies. 

Reluctantly we left the table and went back to work.

By 3:00 we had packed up, cleaned up, suited up and were off. Leaving behind civilization and the smell of fraiser fir and reentering the world of ringing phones, piles of orders and the air of hysteria that always hangs in the shop this time of year.

But there was a iced latte waiting so all hope is not lost.


Paradise can be regained.

18 comments:

  1. I want to decorate a house with a housekeeper that feeds me. It sounds like heaven.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you decorate my house,I'll feed you. Just sayin..

      Delete
  2. What a lovey job! Christmas in the Northern hemisphere would be fun one day. All those gorgeous fir trees x

    ReplyDelete
  3. They put up the tree FOR YOU? and feed you? well, you deserve it!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crazy right? We took a new designer with us this year, our normal 3rd couldn't come. She was amazed. Now she's in on the "secret" and will always sign up for the fun.

      Delete
  4. You have the best job...and they feed you too! humpf.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh how I wish you would come help me. I would gladly serve you breakfast lunch and dinner. I is only one tree, one front door, and one mantle? Well maybe a couple of gates? Oh well, I do love to decorate.... I'm just slow... and I must feed myself! Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I'm slow at home too. I'm always slightly ashamed of myself as I watch the beautiful creations spring up all over blogland.

      Delete
  6. Those "frosted" ornaments are gorgeous! Dont you need some day labor to help with those lovely jobs? I could take vacation and do volunteer work... xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. That doesn't sound like any customers we have at our flower shop! Or maybe I'm just not invited. :) Sounds beautiful though. I was high today off the mixtures of fresh greenery. Had to walk into the cooler a few times. Hope it slows a little so you can enjoy it all.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, the cooler, right? I invite favorite customers in for a "sniff".

      Delete
  8. You paint such a lovely picture! I too want a housekeeper who'll feed me. But then again, like you, I know that not all clients are as joyous as this, and it can be oh so stressful. Thinking of you! xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. It sounds like all three of you work in complete harmony - I am sure the result was spectacular.

    Helen xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh I love the sound of that job, it must really put you in the festive mood? Love Linda x

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the way you write Jane....it's a little snippet into your life, but it reads like a good story....that I don't want to end just yet.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wowsers - Glitter Jane. God bless coffee! Ireland is in a big recession and the new budget just came out today so wreaths and mantelpieces and trees being decorated by florists is not going on much over here sadl but plenty of mince pie eating going on!!! Sinead

    ReplyDelete
  13. Geez, life is rough when you can hire someone to come and do your Christmas decorating for you. What must that be like?

    Hope you make it through the season with very little stress!
    C

    ReplyDelete