Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Let's Hear It For The Food

We hit the road early Sunday morning traveling against traffic.  Butterfly traffic, as they migrated south we headed north on 95. D.C. to Maryland, thru Delaware, the long journey on the New Jersey turnpike and then sitting in masses of traffic in New York waiting to go over the George Washington bridge. 


( First scent of home)
 

Finally Connecticut, home state of the Lab (and GG).
Thus began the eating. Freshly smoked salmon and creamy cheeses, local corn and ginornomous T-bone steaks on the grill.  An early morning stop for lattes and a bag brimming with pastries then onto The Hai's boat  for a ride around the Long Island Sound. We stopped for a lunch of lobster and scallop rolls, plates piled high with thin crispy onion rings and/or french fries and tangy coleslaw.






  While all this is delicious, remember: we are actually heading to beaches where we will be required to put on bathing suits. This will not be pretty. I am eating a piece (or two) of toasted cranberry and pecan bread as I write.

  The word from Virginia is that our house is still standing after the earthquake and our recently repaired ceiling is still that, repaired.  The cat was shaken not stirred.  And our cabinets remain bright white.  (GG thanks all of you for keeping me on the light and narrow road:)


Light and narrow as regards the paint color certainly not my waistline.

21 comments:

  1. It looks as if you have had a lovely time, eating your way up the eastern seaboard ... that's my favorite way to travel. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you are having a great time!

    Enjoy all the yummy food and the good company . . . what's the word though with the hurricane coming?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I gained 10 lbs. just reading this post, lol!

    Sue
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good, I have been fretting about that ceiling plaster.

    Have a wonderful time by the sea, sod the waistline don't you think? Gotta have feast and fun times as well as mybodyisatemple times! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Was wondering about your house so it's nice to hear everything's hunky dory. That cranberry pecan bread is my weakness. I can eat a whole loaf for breakfast. But right now I'm longing for a lobster roll and onion rings.

    On with the fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I thought of you as soon as I heard about the quake, so glad to know you are very safe and the home is in one piece.

    Have fun and eat some of those homemade fries for me, please!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Purty pictures! What a great time of the year for a road trip. Enjoyed the pic of The Lab. High anticipation for your soon to be posted bathing suit pics.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gawd, my bathing suit crisis coming up this weekend. I'll just wear a towel to the shoreline and disappear quietly into the sea. Eagerly awaiting updates and the continuing feasts.

    ReplyDelete
  9. dearest jane,

    thank you, thank you for making your print larger. i'm old.

    your trip sounds so wonderfully relaxing, except the part about putting on a bathing suit. i will be doing that this weekend and i'm not real happy about it.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. So true that vacations and their memories are often built around food. The ice cream parlor with the singing waiter, those sticky buns, the best clam chowder, sweet tea and grits, taco trucks ...

    Love the lab's ecstatic expression

    Have fun, relax and enjoy yourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Okay, I am sufficiently starving now. It all sounds wonderful. Have a terrific time.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm gonna record your calories on my account at MyFitnessPal, so you don't have to claim them.

    Glad you got there safely and that your home and cat are well. Much more damage up your way than in Richmond.

    Travel safely and have a wonderful time! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  13. But what is a waistline compared with toasted cranberry and pecan bread. It was buttered too, right? Foodie travel is the best kind; have a lovely time!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You always have so much fun with The Hai. Do ultra slim people have as much fun as those enjoying delicious lobster rolls? I'll answer that question. I think not. And curves are sexy, no? Enjoy the beach!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Enjoy yourself here on our Long Island. We do have some pretty shores around these parts, don't we?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ohh, to have lobster for lunch :j)

    Lieve groet, Madelief xox

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your trip made me hungry. I have to go and have a bite.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Enjoy! The photo of the lighthouse was especially beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Read about the earthquake, I can't even imagine how that feels. Poor cat, hope she was in the attic.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I just read about the earthquake on Webbs post, we only get very little ones.. shaken not stirred lol!.. all sounds very tempting and I'm sure you look great in a two piece :) x

    ReplyDelete
  21. The house is still standing. This has made my day.
    As has the photograph of the fries.
    xx

    ReplyDelete