Sunday, August 14, 2011

Easy Like A Sunday Morning


I awoke at 8:00am to grey skies and gentle rain.  That sentence hold two miracles, one that I slept in till 8:00, unheard of for this early riser and two, that it is raining gently.

Last night we were able to sleep with open windows and the ceiling fan whirling.  It was so sweet a sleep I can almost remember my dreams.


Seven more sleeps and we leave for the ocean.  First stop, Cape Cod with my friend Susan.  We only see each other a few times a year but instantly fall into constant chatter and/or comfortable silence. We'll be staying in the new house she and her husband have built in Falmouth.  GG and I are hoping for a lobster or two, afternoon naps and cooking in that sunny kitchen I've only seen in pictures. 

Next week Fire Island, NY with our friend Larry.  Here we know what to expect.  Miles of boardwalk, no cars, great music, lunches as honored as dinners.  Reading our way through piles of books (me) studying for the MCATS (GG), beach time with the lab who will chase seagulls and dash in and out of the ocean and many iced coffees.

Until then I'm going to enjoy every minute of today.  I'm nursing a summer cold, so I might have to be lazy and lay about reading, and indulge in a bit of a nap today too. Pregaming for vacation?

But if I had any energy and any peaches I'd do this today.  Instead I'll just enjoy the picture and the process. You will too.




Love the one you're with.




18 comments:

  1. awww, a sweet summer rain. something i rarely experience here. sounds lovely. i made fresh fig jam yesterday. i'm loving the jam making process so much. the peach with earl grey is making my head swim in the possibilities.

    rest up honey.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you got the makings of a lovely Sunday...minus the cold. Hopefully it's still raining when you take that afternoon nap.
    Here's to lovely dreams of the ocean ~

    feel better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so excited about your vacation! It sounds wonderful!!! Hoping you get over your cold before you go. Summer colds are sometimes hard to shake.

    ReplyDelete
  4. gentle rain, perfect window, and ceiling fan---perfect

    I wish I were going to Fire Island too-one of my favorite places on earth. I know you'll have a wonderful time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh no, a summer cold! Get well soon and enjoy the hell out of that much deserved vacation : ).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey my lovely flower lady friend. Im just back from my summer hols - Viva Espania and all that! Going to catch up now and see what ye all have been up to. Glad you are having sweet dreams. Sinead x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Janet, fresh fig jam? You're making me swoon. Must lie down:)

    Sarah, first nap accomplished. No rain but I had the sound of a fan, that was comforting. You've been very busy. You and Janet make me feel like a slug. Love you anyway.

    Steve, Me too! So needed. I'll be in your neck of the woods. Cold unwanted guest. Must go.

    Jen, I know,it's heaven there.Hope your weekend is fun and profitable.

    Jamie, The dreaded summer cold. Just when you think you're out of the woods....there's virus around the next tree. Grrr.

    Sinead, Hola! Was just wondering where you have been. Perhaps we'll see some holiday pictures?

    ReplyDelete
  8. We have grey skies here today and gentle rain too, but I slept until noon. That doesn't sound as lovely as your sweet post. Enjoy your trip to Fire Island in my own neck of the woods. Truly a special place.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Jane,

    Lucky you to still have to holiday's ahead of you :-)! I hope you will have a great time. Take care with your cold!

    Lieve groetjes van Madelief x

    x I hope you will make some photo's from Cape Cod. It's a place I would love to visit one day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Would that we had a teleporter, I could send you some Earl Grey Peach Preserves and a cup of hot tea. Feel better, my friend.

    Oh, and that pie was baked for you! I head into the kitchen today to bake a gazillion cookies, but I shall post about it soon enough. How do you feel about blackberries? xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. You're going to the ocean .... sigh.

    Shake that cold and have an amazing time.

    S
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Please take care of your cold so you can really enjoy your vacation. Love sleeping with the sound of a nice rainstorm. Happy week!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I woke up to another hot and sunny day, but we are getting that sweet summer rain right now - finally! (along with a tornado warning!) Thanks for your lovely comment today. And I agree, your vacation sounds wonderful. How nice to escape this heat and head up to Cape Cod. Hope you and GG havee a great time! Karin/lifeinsmallchunks@blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's always good to ease into a holiday gently Jane, but I do hope you get rid of that cold before you go. I'm envious - it all sounds so warm and convivial, the perfect summer holiday. xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a lovely day - so happy for the rain. I do have peaches and a week off, so I think I shall make the Earl Gray Jam. Sounds divine! thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  16. i adore that blog with the peach jam..thanks...i am following...sorry about your cold...bummer.

    i ended up grilling the artichokes with olive oil, herbs and lemon...kind of like what you said...

    have a great trip...sounds wonderful

    safe travels, my friend
    see you when you get home

    kary and teddy
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Have a really lovely holiday Janio! Do hope your cold buggers off in time for lots of fun and relaxation. Boy, you deserve it! Look forward to hearing all about it. xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Aw heck, you'll be in the hood! Stay, stay...

    ReplyDelete