Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Pollo Milanese


You know October is truly here when you start digging around for gloves and hats for dog walking. When an armful of warm dried laundry feels good hugged close to your chest. When you come home from work and make a cup of tea, not an iced tea but a proper hot potful. And when the cat begins to spend more and more time indoors, unfortunately curled up in my blogging chair. Either my posts will be fewer or they'll be written in a strange language only a few can understand.

Tonight's dinner was a mixture of fall and summer dishes. GG made a favorite salad of ours with chunks of avocado, mozzarella cheese, chickpeas, cherry tomatoes and onions with a splash of olive oil and a sprinkle of salt and pepper.

I made chicken Milanese with our one remaining chicken breast. I sliced it thinly against the grain, pounded out each slice, dipped each piece in 1 egg beaten with S&P and finely chopped garlic. Then I pressed each piece into a plate of fine bread crumbs.

This was served with a red quinoa pilaf. I sauteed 1/2 a finely chopped onion and some garlic in olive oil, toasted 1 cup of grain in the same oil, added 2 cups of chicken stock, S&P and a few crushed red pepper flakes. Brought to a boil, covered, turned to low and cooked it for about 15 minutes. I took it off the heat and let it finish absorbing the liquid and fluff up while I cooked the chicken in a cast iron skillet in hot olive oil till golden brown on both sides... yum:


I believe my time here is up, the dog is talking about walking and the kitten is pacing around my feet hollering something like"Move It". I'm scared of her so I'm outta the house. Next post will be sent from an as of yet unknown destination.

A day later and wiser: My Bolivian co workers suggest toasting the quinoa dry in a pan for several minutes until it turns golden brown. This will result in a firmer grain more like couscous. Gracias amigas.

11 comments:

  1. Your din-din sounds delicious and healthy too!

    S
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jane,

    Hope you survived?!!:-) Glad you had dinner first...

    Enjoy your day!

    Lieve groet, Madelief

    ReplyDelete
  3. At last this bloody machine will let me comment (I hope) so I hope you saved some for me! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. My God, that dinner looks SO good! And where on earth did you find the "few" link...I know several of doze peepels... Awaiting taxi for Mexico, adios amiga!! I shall bring you back whatever I see fit. Ditto for the German chick!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't you hate the way fall jumps out all cold and rainy until you get your winter clothes out of wherever they hide for the summer and then in two weeks we will have a hot spell and you will need them all again.... for three days! i did the switch-over yesterday, so I know it will warm up today.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A bite of your perfectly prepared chicken might put kitten in a better mood.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I tried your recipe for fried rice the other day and it was a hit, so now I'm going to try the quinoa recipe above. I love quinoa and am always trying to find new ways to make it - especially since I bought a big bag of it yesterday at costco! thanks!
    karin

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice dinner. Scared of the cat ..why? Is she a cranky cat? Sinead

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sue, I know, so healthy I was afraid it wouldn't be tasty!

    Madelief, I'm still standing. But, replying from work.

    Julienne, Blogger is acting up big time. Plate in the oven for you. xo

    Gwen, Cuiadao. Please return home safely from Mexico.

    Webb, I know, back in the 70's tomorrow.

    Denise, Me moving the computer might put the kitten in a better mood.

    Karin, It was good but next time I'll add some bits of carrots and shallots and a heap of fresh herbs at the end. Let me know how you like it.

    Urban Stems, The kitten ( really a 17 year old cat) is as cranky as they come. But she's our crank so we love her. but we stay out of her way when he tells us too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. yum !!!!
    happy to see you at farmhouse, jane

    enjoy Fall for all it's worth

    kary and teddy
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Warm clothes from the dryer always does feel so good when it's cold out. And I've been drinking mugs and mugs of hot tea lately. Can't get enough. I just wish I had a dryer too.

    ReplyDelete